Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Deli Vege Cafe *CLOSED DOWN*

Apologies that I have missed out postings for such a long time. Nevertheless, thanks crytal for always leaving comments. That actually MOTIVATED me a lot.
Back to this cafe which I am going to introduce today. It is actually opened by my fren's dad, whom I have not met for quite sometime. Heard from JH that the Jap food is good, hence I wanted to give it a try. The decor of the cafe is modern and clean. I couldnt say much as the space is limited. There are 3 levels for this cafe and I did not manage to go the the 2nd and top floors. Nonetheless, Im surprised that there are many options available here.
Me and Gwennie ordered 3 dishes.

Minestrone Soup $4.90

This is the first time I'm trying Ministrone Soup, as we seldom have this in vegetarian cafes. Sadly, this soup did not meet up to the standard which I have hoped for. Ingredients comprise of chopped celery, tomatoes, lettuce and pineapples. It tasted very "ketchupy" which sunnie tart would definitely hate it. But well, I didnt know celery is part of the ingredient, if not, I would never have ordered it.
Yakitori Set $7.90

Not much of a surprise to me, as the chicken chunks used is the normal "salted chicken" (盐酥鸡) which we order in mixed vegetables rice. This is the grilled version mixed in special sauce. In fact, it was supposed to come with rice, but we ordered without, as we wanted to try the baked rice. It is definitely a MUST to have with rice, as it is way too saltish. I was kind of disappointed that the price is the same without rice.

Baked Seafood Rice $8.90

I guess this was the best dish for the day. Portion is big and filling for 2 of us (luckily). There are a lot of ingredients in this baked rice and the cheese was yummy. This is not suitable for people who do not take mock meats. Hence, do order this dish if you visit.

We were last served with Mango Sago which was supposed to be on the house.

Mango Sago with Ice Cream $5.90


The mango syrup is blended and served with mango chunks and pomelo saps at the bottom. It is then topped with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Kinda similar to the usual dessert (杨枝甘露) that we eat, with an extra ice cream topping. Hence, its nothing special.

The overall experience was ok, and food is still quite up to the normal average standard. However, I guess due to some miscommunication, I had to pay for the dessert (which I did not order) at an extra $6.50. That could have been saved. I guess I wont' go back for a second try.

Location: 200 South Bridge Road, Singapore 058749

Opening Hours: 7am - 11pm on Sun- Thur; 7am - 3am on Fri, Sat & Holiday Eve

Tel: 62239686

4 comments:

Sunny said...

I am a fan of your blog too. Must keep on posting, ok? :-)
Is this the shop opp Hong Lim Complex? I think it is just a few months old? I only noticed it abt a month ago when I last passby Chinatown for goodie shopping, its poster I think on Vegn Fish & chip attracted me but I hadnt had chance to try yet.

missveg said...

Hey Sunny, Thanks for the support too! hahaha, Yea i will be posting some new recipes which i tried soon~ heh
Anyway, yea, its opposite hong lim. Sadly, Ive received too many complaints that its too expensive and the owners are not really willing to accept comments.

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

Ha, i passed by it the other day on my way to Raffles MRT from Chinatown, I was surprise to find it there.

I was wondering a new place i didn't know of. Now, reading it from your post, Ok, will go there to try.

Cheers :)

a veg*n @ Blog*Spot said...

I went there finally :) Their toilet is clean and nice too :p

Oh, I seen other eating the Dessert with ice cream. The presentation was so nice, I just feel like having it but I had a sore throat :( so i didn't order.

Have a little problem going to their website. Wonder whether their menu is there or not.